The Windmill is still functional and has had its exterior and interior extensively restored several times since it ceased operations in 1896. It was constructed around 1787. Constructed of hand-hewn timbers,diagonally braced and convered with shingles on a rubble foundation. The mill is 3 stories high, octagonal in shape and has a domed top made to retoate on a track independly of the rest of the tower so that the four 25" vanes can be turned into the wind. The main door of the structure opens into the first floor grinding room, where the mill stones pulverize the corn which is poured through a shute from the second floor feeding room. The third floor contains the gears that transmit the wind power from the vanes to the mill shaft the turns the grinding stones.
The windmill cared for by the Jamestown Historical Society.
December 14th, 2013
Viewed 172 Times - Last Visitor from Aberdeen, nj on 09/28/2022 at 9:42 AM